Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] configure and cpp detection
Date: 1998-10-27 17:36:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at> writes:
> somehow current CVS configure does not detect that $CC -E is not
> working on AIX and therefore configures xlc -E as preprocessor. It
> should be /lib/cpp

Hmm. We just use the standard Autoconf AC_PROG_CPP macro, and there
are comments in the Autoconf code that show it's been tested on AIX.

Or are you only complaining about the case of invoking cpp to process
stdin? I changed the configure test for that on Sunday; maybe I
broke something. Or maybe AC_PROG_CPP is selecting $CC -E for CPP
because that works OK for reading from a file, but it can't be made
to work for reading stdin?

What does the config.log file show for the cpp tests (around line 1200
in configure)?