Re: Effective Cache Size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Effective Cache Size
Date: 2004-08-24 19:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
> I was thinking of changing the way EFC is handled, having it retrived via code
> (much the same way top does it) rather than relying on the user to specify
> the value. This value would then be checked/updated every so often.

Even assuming that you can portably find out how much RAM is going to
kernel cache (which I do not believe), how do you know how much of it
is getting used for Postgres data as opposed to everything else?

At the moment I think that manual handling is sufficient anyway. This
is a relatively low-impact parameter and it doesn't seem too important
to try to get it dead on.