Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE
Date: 2018-02-21 23:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Some example measurements:
>
> 6 GB database, pg_upgrade unpatched 30 seconds, patched 3 seconds (XFS
> and APFS)
>
> similar for a CREATE DATABASE from a large template

Nice improvement, of course. How does that affect performance on the
cloned database? If I understand this correctly, it essentially enables
CoW on the files, so what's the overhead on that? It'd be unfortunate to
speed up CREATE DATABASE only to get degraded performance later.

In any case, I find this interesting mainly for pg_upgrade use case. On
running systems I think the main issue with CREATE DATABASE is that it
forces a checkpoint.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com