Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.
Date: 2022-03-31 15:32:15
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:52 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> We should probably fix the test though, so it doesn't require Unix
>> sockets. It should be possible, although I haven't looked yet to see how.

> Our mutual colleague Neha Sharma pointed out this email message to me:
> http://postgr.es/m/106926.1643842376@sss.pgh.pa.us

Ah, right.

> I actually don't understand why using pg_regress --auth-extra would
> fix it, or what that option does, or why we're even running pg_regress
> at all in PostgreSQL::Test::Cluster::init. I think it might be to fix
> this exact issue, but there's no SGML documentation for pg_regress,

I'm not volunteering to fix that, but this comment in pg_regress.c
is probably adequately illuminating:

* Rewrite pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf to use SSPI authentication. Permit
* the current OS user to authenticate as the bootstrap superuser and as any
* user named in a --create-role option.

This script is creating users manually rather than letting the TAP
infrastructure do it, which is an antipattern.