Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, ceccareb(at)talusmusic(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Brian Ceccarelli <ceccareb(at)talussoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4999: select 'a' < 'A' is true, but should be false . . .
Date: 2009-08-24 20:30:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> ... It seems to me based on my short
> tenure reading this mailing list that when someone provides a
> reproducible test case of Postgres verifiably DTWT it usually attracts
> plenty of attention and gets dealt with relatively quickly, usually
> with a friendly "thanks for the report!".
> I think there's definitely room for some better bug wrangling, but
> given the number of garbage bugs, the effort/reward ratio is likely to
> be pretty high.

Yeah. I think that bugzilla, and probably also debbugs (though I've
got no experience with the latter), are designed for workflows where a
bug remains live for some considerable period of time and/or is handed
off to different people during its lifespan. That doesn't really
describe our handling of bugs. We try to close bugs immediately if at
all possible, and if not they end up as items on the TODO list.

As Robert says, we could be better about making sure that we provide
some kind of response to every bug submission; but I think what's
lacking there is the will and the cycles to do so, not so much a tool.