Re: why partition pruning doesn't work?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why partition pruning doesn't work?
Date: 2018-06-09 19:18:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I'm really hoping this is what you meant about the special-case code for Params.
> Does this look any better?

I'm starting to look this over and it seems like generally the right
thing, though I'm finding minor things I don't like much.

One thing I'm wondering about is why in the world are PartitionPruneInfo
and its subsidiary struct types declared in primnodes.h? They are not
general-purpose expression nodes, or if they are then there are an awful
lot of places that should know about them and do not. AFAICT they might
belong in plannodes.h.