Re: BUG #4496: Memory leak in pg_dump.c?

From: Aggro <dvice_null(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4496: Memory leak in pg_dump.c?
Date: 2008-10-30 19:51:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

--- Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> wrote:

> dvice_null(at)yahoo(dot)com napsal(a):
> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference: 4496
> > Logged by:
> > Email address: dvice_null(at)yahoo(dot)com
> > PostgreSQL version: Latest cvs
> > Operating system: Error in source code
> > Details:
> >
> > In file src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c:3741
> >
> > It seems like variables "constrinfo" and
> "indxinfo" leak memory e.g. at line
> > 3741 and also on many other similar functions. If
> the memory is released
> > somewhere I failed to find the location where it
> is released. So please
> > either fix the leak if there is a leak or document
> better where the memory
> > is released.
> >

> I think all information is collected and they are
> used for all pg_dump run. It
> does not make sense to free them. See line 725.
>
> Zdenek

But is the memory freed at some point? E.g. when
program shuts down? If it is not freed ever, then it
is a memory leak. I'm interested in this, because
either you have a memory leak or these is a bug in
another application called cppcheck which claims that
you have a memory leak. But if it is too difficult to
find out, I won't bother you about this anymore as it
is most likely a minor issue if even that.