Locale/encoding problem/question

From: henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Locale/encoding problem/question
Date: 2006-08-04 08:48:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I somehow managed to stuff up the encoding (or locale or something) in a
transfer of a database from one machine to another (also different linux
distribution).

The problem is this: the origional database was created and populated
with data using whatever default locale/encoding was installed on the
first machine.

Words would appear correctly, as in: Hoë

After dumping the database and restoring on a different one, the word
incorrectly appears as: Hoë

Before I do any more damage or waste time, I'd appreciate any ideas or
pointers on correctly performing the initdb -E<encoding>
--locale=<locale>... (or any other ideas on resolving this issue) , before
I try and restore the data again.

Thanks
henk