Re: bug 1201

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, federico <fissore(at)hyphen(dot)it>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug 1201
Date: 2004-10-20 16:08:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Huh, shouldn't the user rather do
>> SELECT func_returning_void();

> The problem is that the function may actually be a SRF so the JDBC driver
> transforms to the "SELECT * FROM" form.

It's not really any weirder to allow this than to allow "SELECT func()",
as far as I can see. Either way, you end up with a tuple containing one
column of type "void". If we had a CALL statement then there might be
a reasonable argument for disallowing void-returning functions in both
places, but for now I've applied a modified form of Kris' patch.