Re: Adjusting Shared Memory with sysctl.conf not working?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Graham <duggram(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adjusting Shared Memory with sysctl.conf not working?
Date: 2009-03-27 23:22:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Doug Graham <duggram(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Reboot multiple times. Here's what shared memory I have running now:

> DougMBP:~ duggram$ sysctl -a | grep shm
> kern.exec: unknown type returned
> kern.sysv.shmall: 16777216
> kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
> kern.sysv.shmmni: 4096
> kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
> kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304

My MBP has

kern.sysv.shmall: 8192
kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
kern.sysv.shmmax: 33554432

I think you possibly have the meaning/units for shmall and shmmax
reversed. shmall is in pages, shmmax is in bytes. I wouldn't be
surprised if the shmall value you're trying to stuff in there is
overflowing to zero...