Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2022-01-17 21:13:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/17/22 13:19, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-01-17 10:25:12 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> The buildfarm is moving in the opposite direction, to disaggregate
>> steps.
> I'm a bit confused as to where you want changes to vcregress.pl
> going. Upthread you argued against adding more granular targets to
> vcregress. But this seems to be arguing against that?

OK, let me clear that up. Yes I argued upthread for a 'make check-world'
equivalent, because it's useful for developers on Windows. But I don't
really want to use it in the buildfarm client, where I prefer to run
fine-grained tests.

>> There are several reasons for that, including that it makes for
>> less log output that you need to churn through o find out what's gone
>> wrong in a particular case, and that it makes disabling certain test
>> sets via the buildfarm client's `skip-steps' feature possible.
> FWIW, to me this shouldn't require a lot of separate manual test
> invocations. And continuing to have lots of granular test invocations from the
> buildfarm client is *bad*, because it requires constantly syncing up the set
> of test targets.

Well, the logic we use for TAP tests is we run them for the following if
they have a t subdirectory, subject to configuration settings like
PG_TEST_EXTRA:

 src/test/bin/*

 contrib/*

 src/test/modules/*

 src/test/*

As long as any new TAP test gets place in such a location nothing new is
required in the buildfarm client.

> It also makes the buildfarm far slower than necessary, because it runs a lot
> of stuff serially that it could run in parallel.

That's a legitimate concern. I have made some strides towards gross
parallelism in the buildfarm by providing for different branches to be
run in parallel. This has proven to be fairly successful (i.e. I have
not run into any complaints, and several of my own animals utilize it).
I can certainly look at doing something of the sort for an individual
branch run.

> This is particularly a
> problem for things like valgrind runs, where individual tests are quite slow -
> but just throwing more CPUs at it would help a lot.

When I ran a valgrind animal, `make check` was horribly slow, and it's
already parallelized. But it was on a VM and I forget how many CPUs the
VM had.

> We should set things up so that:
>
> a) The output of each test can easily be associated with the corresponding set
> of log files.
> b) The list of tests run can be determined generically by looking at the
> filesystems
> c) For each test run, it's easy to see whether it failed or succeeded
>
> As part of the meson stuff (which has its own test runner), I managed to get a
> bit towards this by changing the log output hierarchy so that each test gets
> its own directory for log files (regress_log_*, initdb.log, postmaster.log,
> regression.diffs, server log files). What's missing is a
> test.{failed,succeeded} marker or such, to make it easy to report the log
> files for just failed tasks.

One thing I have been working on is a way to split the log output of an
individual buildfarm step, hitherto just a text blob, , so that you can
easily navigate to say regress_log_0003-foo-step.log without having to
page through myriads of stuff. It's been on the back burner but I need
to prioritize it, maybe when the current CF is done.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan