Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... SEARCH { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | SESSION }

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... SEARCH { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | SESSION }
Date: 2023-09-25 18:03:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2023-09-25 at 12:00 -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
> Should there be a way to have a separate "execution" search_path?

I hadn't considered that and I like that idea for a few reasons:

* a lot of the problem cases are for functions that don't need to
access tables at all, e.g., in an index expression.
* it avoids annoyances with pg_temp, because that's not searched for
functions/operators anyway
* perhaps we could force the object search_path to be empty for
IMMUTABLE functions?

I haven't thought it through in detail, but it seems like a promising
approach.

Regards,
Jeff Davis