Re: Archives policy

From: Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Joshua D(dot) Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2012-04-11 22:57:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On 2012-04-11, at 2:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Excerpts from Joshua D. Drake's message of jue abr 16 15:07:59 -0400 2009:

>>> I think by far the most likely problem scenario is that someone claims
>>> to hold copyright on something-or-other in an old message and files a
>>> DMCA takedown notice against it. AFAICT the standard of proof in such
>>> cases is "guilty until proven innocent", so we'd probably have to cave
>>> rather than argue about it. How are the copyright laws in Canada these
>>> days?
>>
>> I think what we really need to do is stop playing attorney and ask one
>> what our exposure is. I will contact SFLC.
>
> I just got another guy requesting me to remove an archived email from
> very old archives. Nothing illegal so I'm not doing it. Still, I just
> reread this thread and saw this offer and no followup. JD, did you ever
> get around to asking SFLC about this?

Iin the past, the policy was defined nice and simple: once in the archives, there are no changes, period, since its not just our archives that the messages is in, but every public / private archive that exists on the Internet …

The one exception to this was a few years back when we were alerts that there was a bunch of porn, but we didn't *remove* the posts, onlly XXXX'd out the text, so that the archives URLs didn't get changed in the process …

As for 'copyright laws in Canada', which was asked also above … consider Canada, in large part, to be a sister-state to the US, if not a bit more fascist(god, hope that is the right word) … it fluctuates somewhat, but over time, the net result tends to be that what is adopted in the US, gets adopted here …