Best free open source ER diagram generator?

From: dananrg(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best free open source ER diagram generator?
Date: 2007-12-28 11:06:27
Lists: pgsql-general

What's currently the best free, open source ER diagram generator? One
that can output SQL to create a schema as well. It should be able to
work not just with postgreSQL, but Oracle and others.

In the past, I've used Druid III. Terrific tool, but no longer seems
to be under active development. Is there anything better than Druid?
Perhaps Gaudi?

At times, I wish the open source community would put more eggs in the
same basket as far as refining particular software projects--e.g.
focus on 1 or 2 projects for a particular purpose, and invest heavily
on a product that will meet or beat commercial software. e.g. I'm
pleased to see the work done on OpenOffice, and want to stick with it
for all or most of my "MS Office" equivalent needs.

Thanks very much.