Re: pg_dump silently fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brandon Keepers <brandon(at)opensoul(dot)org>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump silently fails
Date: 2005-06-14 18:49:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is SELinux in enforcement mode, and if so does turning it off change
>> things?

> Should we check for a buggy SELinux and report a meaningful error
> message on failure?

How you intend to do that, exactly? The bug is that it won't let you
write on /dev/tty, which puts a pretty severe crimp on *any* reporting.

(This is not as insane as it sounds: it's a reasonable security
restriction for a daemon process. The error in older SELinux policy
files is that they think all the Postgres executables are daemons, not
only the postmaster.)