Re: Selects in server side functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Neil Davis" <npdavis(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selects in server side functions
Date: 2000-10-28 02:42:30
Lists: pgsql-general

"Neil Davis" <npdavis(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am trying to figure out how to return more than one field using "SETOF".
> I can concatenate the fields in the select statement down to one and
> use SETOF Text to return them, then split them back apart in my
> code.

SETOF is not for returning multiple columns, it is for returning
multiple *rows*. I don't think that's what you want here.

Returning multiple columns requires a tuple (structure) return datatype.
Unfortunately that's not supported all that well right now. Check the
pgsql archives for my message about functions returning tuples, from a
few days back.