Re: Fetching generated keys

From: "Mike Clements" <mclement(at)progress(dot)com>
To: "Mike Clements" <mclement(at)progress(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL JDBC List" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fetching generated keys
Date: 2007-03-06 22:24:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Yet even more info:

Because the returned result set *appeared* to have my data in it, I
tried not calling "next()" at all. This worked - example:

WORKS:
rs = stmt.execute();
pk = rs.getLong(1);

FAILS:
rs = stmt.execute();
rs.next(); // this throws an exception
pk = rs.getLong(1);

According to the JDK API docs for package java.sql, all results sets
should start with the cursor just before the first row. Thus one is
supposed to call "next()" to get the first row. This is how all the
result sets I've worked with in the past function.

I can work around this for now. But I'm curious - is it a bug?

Also there appears to be another bug, since calling first() on this
result set throws an NPE, but it should either return false or throw a
SQLException if it's a forward-only result set. Same goes for next() -
if there are no more rows it should return FALSE, not throw an
exception.