Re: [HACKERS] Reorganization of spinlock defines

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Reorganization of spinlock defines
Date: 2003-09-12 03:42:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Looking at the code, I wonder if we already have folks not using
> spinlocks, and not even knowing it. I don't think problem reports will
> be limited to new platforms.

Very likely --- I heard from someone recently who was trying to run
HPUX/Itanium. After we got past the hard-wired assumption that HPUX
== HPPA, it was still giving lousy performance for lack of spinlocks.
I like the part of the patch that is in-your-face about that.

> I just learned from Larry that Unixware defines intel as i386, not
> __i386 or __i386__, at least of the native SCO compiler that he uses.

[blink] Namespace infringement 'r us, huh?

> I am going to test for __cpu, __cpu__, and cpu on non-gcc compiler for
> consistency. It is only done in one place in the patch, so that should
> be good.

Please, only the first two. Make the Unixware template add __i386__.
Don't add assumptions about valid user-namespace symbols.