Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-23 17:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1 - All SETs are rolled back in aborted transaction
> 2 - SETs are ignored after transaction abort
> 3 - All SETs are honored in aborted transaction
> ? - Have SETs vary in behavior depending on variable

My vote is 1 - roll back all SETs.

I'd be willing to consider making the behavior variable-specific
if anyone can identify particular variables that need to behave
differently. But overall I think it's better that the behavior
be consistent --- so you'll need a good argument to convince me
that anything should behave differently ;-).

There is a variant case that should also have been illustrated:
what if there is no error, but the user does ROLLBACK instead of
COMMIT? The particular case that is causing difficulty for me is

begin;
create schema foo;
set search_path = foo;
rollback;

There is *no* alternative here but to roll back the search_path
setting. Therefore, the only alternatives that actually count
are 1 and ? --- if you don't like 1 then you are voting for
variable-specific behavior, because search_path is going to behave
this way whether you like it or not.