Re: Multidimensional Histograms

From: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alexander Cheshev <alex(dot)cheshev(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multidimensional Histograms
Date: 2024-01-07 10:22:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/1/2024 06:54, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> It's an interesting are for experiments, no doubt about it. And if you
> choose to explore it, that's fine. But it's better to be aware it may
> not end with a commit.
> For the multi-dimensional case, I propose we first try to experiment
> with the various algorithms, and figure out what works etc. Maybe
> implementing them in python or something would be easier than C.

Curiously, trying to utilize extended statistics for some problematic
cases, I am experimenting with auto-generating such statistics by
definition of indexes [1]. Doing that, I wanted to add some hand-made
statistics like a multidimensional histogram or just a histogram which
could help to perform estimation over a set of columns/expressions.
I realized that current hooks get_relation_stats_hook and
get_index_stats_hook are insufficient if I want to perform an estimation
over a set of ANDed quals on different columns.
In your opinion, is it possible to add a hook into the extended
statistics to allow for an extension to propose alternative estimation?

[1] https://github.com/danolivo/pg_index_stats

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov