Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

From: Tim Gustafson <tjg(at)soe(dot)ucsc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs
Date: 2008-11-19 22:35:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I currently have a old GForge installation running on Postgres 7.4.19. GForge relies on the OID columns of their application tables for different things. I'm trying to upgrade Postgres to 8.2, and in order to do so, I'm doing:

pg_dumpall --oids --clean > foo.sql

However, the "CREATE TABLE" statements in foo.sql don't have "WITH OIDS" specified, so when the tables are created in the new server, they are not getting OID columns, and then the data load portion of the SQL script appears to essentially be ignoring the OID information.

Is there an updated pg_dumpall that fixes this problem? Was this a known issue in the 7.4.19 pg_dumpall that was fixed? Any suggestions on how best to get the data out of the 7.4 server and in to the 8.2 server while maintaining all the OID information?

Thanks for all your help!

Tim Gustafson
SOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz