Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgtranslation-translators <pgtranslation-tanslators(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: filenames in pg_basebackup
Date: 2012-07-25 23:15:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One thing I'm not clear about is the "WAL file" vs "transaction log
> file" terminology. We use both in various error messages. Do we want
> to consistently use one? It seems to me that we're using the very
> verbose "transaction log" phrase just to avoid exposing users to the
> "WAL" acronym, but that's probably a lost cause. We also have the issue
> of calling those files "files" or "segments". I understand that
> internally we don't want to confuse them, but I don't see that the
> distinction makes any sense to users.

Yeah, we did talk about that a bit when Heikki was working on the
64-bit-XLogPointer changes. AFAIR, there was general consensus that
it'd be better to standardize on one terminology, but little agreement
on which wording to use :-(. I'd say review the thread and pick one.
He who does the work gets to make the decision.