Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Date: 2022-03-09 01:24:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/08/22 17:12, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> I spent some time trying to come up with a workable script to replace the
> existing one. I think the main problem is that you need to write out both
> the backup label file and the tablespace map file, but I didn't find an
> easy way to write the different output columns of pg_backup_stop() to
> separate files via psql.

Something like this might work:

SELECT * FROM pg_backup_stop(true) \gset

\out /tmp/backup_label \qecho :labelfile
\out /tmp/tablespace_map \qecho :spcmapfile
\out
\! ... tar command adding /tmp/{backup_label,tablespace_map} to the tarball

I notice the \qecho adds a final newline (and so if :spcmapfile is empty,
a file containing a single newline is made). In a quick test with a bogus
restore_command, I did not see any error messages specific to the format
of the backup_label or tablespace_map files, so maybe the final newline
isn't a problem.

Assuming the newline isn't a problem, that might be simple enough to
use in an example, and maybe it's not a bad thing that it highlights a few
psql capabilities the reader might not have stumbled on before. Or, maybe
it is just too confusing to bother.

While agreeing that pg_basebackup is the production-ready thing that
does it all for you (with tests for likely errors and so on), I think
there is also some value in a dead-simple example that concretely
shows you what "it" is, what the basic steps are that happen beneath
pg_basebackup's chrome.

If the added newline is a problem, I haven't thought of a way to exclude
it that doesn't take the example out of the realm of dead-simple.

Regards,
-Chap