Re: Odd query behavior

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan McFadyen" <danm(at)cryptocard(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd query behavior
Date: 2010-03-12 16:29:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Dan McFadyen" <danm(at)cryptocard(dot)com> writes:
> I've come across an odd situation. I've had access to a database where a
> the following happens:

What are the plans for the two queries? If either one involves use of
an index, does disabling the index change the results?

> I do know that server it was running on was Finnish. The database uses a
> UTF8 encoding though, so I don't know what that would make any
> difference.

The other line of thought that suggests is that you've got an
encoding/locale mismatch that's messing up text comparisons. What's the
server's LC_CTYPE setting, and what PG version is this anyway?