Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Date: 2022-03-02 19:23:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/01/22 20:03, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> Here is a new version of the patch with the following changes:

I did not notice this earlier (sorry), but there seems to remain in
backup.sgml a programlisting example that shows a psql invocation
for pg_backup_start, then a tar command, then another psql invocation
for pg_backup_stop.

I think that was only workable for the exclusive mode, and now it is
necessary to issue pg_backup_start and pg_backup_stop in the same session.

(The 'touch backup_in_progress' business seems a bit bogus now too,
suggesting an exclusivity remembered from bygone days.)

I am not sure what a workable, simple example ought to look like.
Maybe a single psql script issuing the pg_backup_start and the
pg_backup_stop, with a tar command in between with \! ?

Several bricks shy of production-ready, but it would give the idea.

Regards,
-Chap