Re: Different compression methods for FPI

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Different compression methods for FPI
Date: 2021-06-17 08:18:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 17 июня 2021 г., в 11:57, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 11:45:37AM +0500, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>> Konstantin, Daniil and Justin are working on compressing libpq
>> [0]. That would make walsender compress WAL automatically.
>> And we (at least I and Dan) are inclined to work on compressing
>> on-disk WAL as soon as libpq compression will be committed.
>
> What's the relationship between libpq and WAL?
walsender transmit WAL over regular protocol. Compressing libpq leads to huge decrease of cross-datacenter traffic of HA clusters.
In fact that's the reason why Daniil is working on libpq compression [0]. But that's matter of other thread.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/161609580905.28624.5304095609680400810.pgcf%40coridan.postgresql.org#be6bc3ba77ff8a293b1816f4841c59ef