Fw: How to FindNearest

From: paallen(at)attglobal(dot)net
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fw: How to FindNearest
Date: 2006-10-03 17:35:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

I guess I explained that very poorly. Sorry. It is actually much simplier.

I have 3 tables

Hole
Hole_id

Down_hole_survey
Hole_id
Depth_meters
Azimuth
Vertical_inclination

Sample
Hole_id
Depth_meters

Hole_id is a primary key in the hole table while it is a foriegn key in down_hole_survey and sample tables.

My function will take all the above info about the hole and down_hole_survey tables, and sample.hole_id and sample.depth_meters and will calculate the coordinates. I need to put these coordinates into sample.x , sample.y and sample.z .

What I used to do was have one function that would return 3 values (x,y,z). Then create 3 more functions that would call call the main function and pull out the 3 values seperately to update the 3 seperate columns. It works fine but I have to call the main function 3 times which produces a slow performance.

I hope that I explained it better this time.

Phil