Re: Problem with PITR recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rob Butler <crodster2k(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date: 2005-04-20 22:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> However, this still begs the question of why we are bothering.
>> I disagree with the goal in this particular case anyhow: I do not
>> think it's necessary, safe, nor sane for a shutdown to try to archive
>> the last XLOG segment. Even if we fixed the xlog mechanism to end the
>> file there, I really have a problem with the idea that the archiver
>> should try to start a fresh archiving cycle at shutdown.

> Doing the archive at server shutdown eliminates one of the "must
> document" items, so the system behaves more predictably that it does
> not. It is not required --- it is a usability issue.

No, it just replaces a documentation issue with a reliability issue.
We'd have to consider what to say about the prospect that the archiver
is unable to archive that last segment, is kill -9'd by init at some
critical point in the process, etc etc. I think it's just a bad idea
to promise people that shutting down the postmaster will have any such
effect.