A generic trigger to log chanes on database tables

From: "Charles Ambrose" <jamjam360(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A generic trigger to log chanes on database tables
Date: 2006-11-23 16:32:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

Is there a way that I could create a trigger that logs the changes (updates,
deletes) of a table? I mean, I want to put in a table the changes to any
table in a database and also put in the table the column that was modified
and the corresponding value.

My audit table looks like this:

Table name: TableChangesLog
Columns: ChangeID int not null auto_increment --> Primary Key of table
TableName -> Name of table modified
ColumnName -> Column modified
ColumnValue -> The original value
Operation -> "Update" or "Delete"

My idea is to create a generic trigger that will log all changes for all
database tables.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance ...