Re: Too rigorous assert in reorderbuffer.c

From: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Lakhin <a(dot)lakhin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Too rigorous assert in reorderbuffer.c
Date: 2019-02-04 16:15:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 31.01.2019 9:21, Arseny Sher wrote:
> My colleague Alexander Lakhin has noticed an assertion failure in
> reorderbuffer.c:1330. Here is a simple snippet reproducing it:
>
> SELECT 'init' FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('regression_slot', 'test_decoding');
>
> create table t(k int);
> begin;
> savepoint a;
> alter table t alter column k type text;
> rollback to savepoint a;
> alter table t alter column k type bigint;
> commit;
>
> SELECT data FROM pg_logical_slot_get_changes('regression_slot', NULL, NULL, 'include-xids', '0', 'skip-empty-xacts', '1');

I just want to add, that I have accidentally discovered the same issue
during the testing of the Tomas's large transactions streaming patch
[1], and had to remove this assert to get things working. I thought that
it was somehow related to the streaming mode and did not test the same
query alone.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/76fc440e-91c3-afe2-b78a-987205b3c758%402ndquadrant.com

Regards