Re: Is my home $HOME or is it getpwent()->pw_dir ?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is my home $HOME or is it getpwent()->pw_dir ?
Date: 2021-12-20 15:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/20/21 09:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 18.12.21 21:57, Chapman Flack wrote:
>> When I start psql, strace shows $HOME being honored when looking
>> for .terminfo and .inputrc, and getpwent()->pw_dir being used
>> to look for .pgpass, .psqlrc, and .psql_history, which of course
>> aren't there.
>>
>> I'm sure the .terminfo and .inputrc lookups are being done by library code.
>> In my experience, it seems traditionally unixy to let $HOME take precedence.
>
> See this patch: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/36/3362/

Wow, just a couple months ago. Yes, I should have tagged on to that
rather than starting a new thread.

I was proposing an option or variable on the assumption that just changing
the default behavior would be off the table. But I am +1 on just changing
the default behavior, if that's not off the table.

Regards,
-Chap

*seeing that RFC 5322 3.6.4 permits more than one msg-id for in-reply-to,
crosses fingers to see what PGLister will make of it*