Re: Obtain Serial Value

From: "Trewern, Ben" <Ben(dot)Trewern(at)mowlem(dot)com>
To: "Timothy Reed" <tareed(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Sistemas C(dot)M(dot)P(dot)" <sistemascmp(at)redynet4(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obtain Serial Value
Date: 2006-02-08 14:46:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Try using SELECT currval('sequenc_name');

>From the docs:

Return the value most recently obtained by nextval for this sequence in
the current session. (An error is reported if nextval has never been
called for this sequence in this session.) Notice that because this is
returning a session-local value, it gives a predictable answer whether
or not other sessions have executed nextval since the current session
did.

This should be much faster than SELECT max(... and transaction safe.

Regards,

Ben