Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)

From: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Moon, Insung" <Moon_Insung_i3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date: 2019-08-15 09:24:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 04:36:35PM +0200, Antonin Houska wrote:
> > I can work on it right away but don't know where to start.
>
> I think the big open question is whether there will be acceptance of an
> all-cluster encyption feature. I guess if no one objects, we can move
> forward.
>
> > First, I think we should use a code repository to integrate [1] and [2]
> > instead of sending diffs back and forth. That would force us to resolve
> > conflicts soon and help to avoid duplicate work. The diffs would be created
> > only whe we need to post the next patch version to pgsql-hackers for review,
> > otherwise the discussions of details can take place elsewhere.
>
> Well, we can do that, or just follow the TODO list and apply items as we
> complete them. We have found that doing everything in one big patch is
> just too hard to review and get accepted.
>
> > The most difficult problem I see now regarding the collaboration is agreement
> > on the key management user interface. The Full-Cluster Encryption feature [1]
> > should not add configuration variables or even tools that the next, more
> > sophisticated version [2] deprecates immediately. Part of the problem is that
>
> Yes, the all-cluster encryption feature has _no_ SQL-level API to
> control it, just a GUC variable that you can use SHOW to see the
> encryption mode.
>
> > [2] puts all (key management related) interaction of postgres with the
> > environment into an external library. As I pointed out in my response to [2],
> > this will not work for frontend applications (e.g. pg_waldump). I think the
> > key management UI for [2] needs to be designed first even if PG 13 should
> > adopt only [1].
>
> I think there are several directions we can go after all-cluster
> encryption,

I think I misunderstood. What you summarize in

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption#TODO_for_Full-Cluster_Encryption

does include

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD21AoBjrbxvaMpTApX1cEsO=8N=nc2xVZPB0d9e-VjJ=YaRnw@mail.gmail.com

i.e. per-tablespace keys, right? Then the collaboration should be easier than
I thought.

--
Antonin Houska