Re: Where to point CommitFestOpen?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Where to point CommitFestOpen?
Date: 2008-11-03 03:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Note that I'm going to propose replacing the wiki with real software
> come 8.5.

Where is this "real software" going to come from? I can't imagine that
software with more functionality than the wiki is going to spring into
existence without a huge investment of time.

I also note that the problem I'm griping about is hardly the fault of
the wiki software --- it's that we set up a naming convention without
sufficient foresight about future conditions. The only thing that
bespoke software might have done differently for us is impose some
perhaps-significantly-higher cost to change the convention.

So even if the software were going to appear for free, I think we have
evidence in hand right here that we don't know enough to write a spec
for it yet. Maybe by 8.6 when we've been through a *full* release cycle
with the commitfest idea, we could spec it right.