Re: Built-in connection pooling

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in connection pooling
Date: 2018-04-25 14:43:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 25, 2018, at 07:00, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The limitations headaches that I suffer with pgbouncer project (which
> I love and use often) are mainly administrative and performance
> related, not lack of session based server features.

For me, the most common issue I run into with pgbouncer (after general administrative overhead of having another moving part) is that it works at cross purposes with database-based sharding, as well as useful role and permissions scheme. Since each server connection is specific to a database/role pair, you are left with some unappealing options to handle that in a pooling environment.

The next most common problem are prepared statements breaking, which certainly qualifies as a session-level feature.
--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com