preload libraries

From: flickchick_one <flickchick_one(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: preload libraries
Date: 2007-05-22 17:15:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all -

I'm attempting to preload a shared object file (match.so) in order to create a C function in postgres that use will use it. To do this, I've added the following line to the postgresql.conf file:

preload_libraries = '/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/match.so'

Now when attempting to start the server, I receive the following error message:

Postgresql server failed to start. Please check the log output:

Although the message says to check the log for additional info, and a log is created for the event, the file is empty.

I'm very new to postgres, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of permission problem that I need to address.

One note - if I comment out the preload_libraries line, the server starts and runs fine. But if I then attempt to create the function that calls match.so, the server will crash with the following error message:

An error has occurred:
before or while processing the request.

Again there are no details in the log to explain what is happening.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Chris