Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Date: 2024-03-14 14:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14.03.24 09:08, Jeff Davis wrote:
> 0001 (the C.UTF-8 locale) is also close. Considering that most of the
> infrastructure is already in place, that's not a large patch. You many
> have some comments about the way I'm canonicalizing and validating in
> initdb -- that could be cleaner, but it feels like I should refactor
> the surrounding code separately first.

If have tested this against the libc locale C.utf8 that was available on
the OS, and the behavior is consistent.

I wonder if we should version the builtin locales too. We might make a
mistake and want to change something sometime?

Tiny comments:

* src/bin/scripts/t/020_createdb.pl

The two added tests should have different names that tells them apart
(like the new initdb tests).

* src/include/catalog/pg_collation.dat

Maybe use 'and' instead of '&' in the description.

> 0002 (inlining utf8 functions) is also ready.

Seems ok.

> For 0003 and beyond, I'd like some validation that it's what you had in
> mind.

I'll look into those later.