Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE

From: Atsushi Ogawa <atsushi(dot)ogawa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE
Date: 2005-12-03 01:42:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Thanks for comments. I modified the patch.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Atsushi Ogawa <atsushi(dot)ogawa(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > (2)About processing when column identifier of SET clause is specified
> > like 'AAA.BBB'. 'AAA' is a composite column now. When an alias for
> > target table is supported, 'AAA' is a composite column or a table.
> > How do we distinguish these?
>
> You don't, which is why you can't put an alias on a SET target.

I stop applying an alias to a SET target.

> Increasing the reserved-ness of SET isn't real attractive either.

OK. I changed the syntax rule of an alias of UPDATE/DELETE target from
ColId to IDENT. This doesn't change reserved words though candidates
of that alias decreases.

--- Atsushi Ogawa

Attachment Content-Type Size
allow_alias_update.patch application/octet-stream 6.6 KB