Re: creating a trigger to access another postgres database?

From: carty mc <cartymc3(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating a trigger to access another postgres database?
Date: 2008-03-29 01:53:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Richard,
I went through dblink and tried it . But I am not able to pass variables to sql stmt of dblink_exec function . Basically If I hardcode the values for updating a table for the sql statement in different database it is working fine. But What I wanted to do is get the info from existing modified row and pass that into the update query which I am writing inside dblink_exec call.

my sql inside dblink_exec call would look like
UPDATE my_table set myotherDBTableField = NEW.currDBTableField WHERE {condition}

When the trigger function executes this it is giving an error some Rule need to be set.
Whereas If I hardcode that value instead of using NEW.xxxx it is working fine?

I appreciate any insights,

thanks,

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
carty mc wrote:
> I have a question regarding postgres Trigger. We have two
> applications which connect to two different databases (Both are
> postgres). Is it possible to create a trigger (row based) in one
> database say A, which can access another database say B and updates a
> table there.

Sure - check the manuals (in 8.3) for dblink - it's in contrib. It's
been there for a while, but the documentation for contrib modules wasn't
in the manual until 8.3

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd