Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Date: 2015-03-08 18:22:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Andrew Dunstan (andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net) wrote:

>>> Several people have now made that suggestion, but I *seriously* doubt
>>> that we actually want to go there. The overhead of executing SQL
>>> commands in comparison to the bki stuff is really rather
>>> noticeable. Doing the majority of the large number of insertions via SQL
>>> will make initdb noticeably slower. And it's already annoyingly
>>> slow. Besides make install it's probably the thing I wait most for
>>> during development.

>> My reaction exactly. We should not make users pay a price for
>> developers' convenience.

Another reason not to do this is that it would require a significant (in
my judgment) amount of crapification of a lot of code with bootstrap-mode
special cases. Neither the parser, the planner, nor the executor could
function in bootstrap mode without a lot of lobotomization. Far better
to confine all that ugliness to bootstrap.c.

> Just to clarify, since Jim was responding to my comment, my thought was
> *not* to use SQL commands inside initdb, but rather to use PG to create
> the source files that we have today in our tree, which wouldn't slow
> down initdb at all.

That, on the other hand, might be a sane suggestion. I'm not sure
though. It feels more like "use the hammer you have at hand" than
necessarily being a good fit. In particular, keeping the raw data in
some tables doesn't seem like an environment that would naturally
distinguish between hard-coded and defaultable values. For instance,
how would you distinguish hard-coded OIDs from ones that could be
assigned at initdb's whim?