Re: Commitfest overflow

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest overflow
Date: 2021-08-05 09:27:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 11:55:50AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 04:53:40PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > There are 273 patches in the queue for the Sept Commitfest already, so
> > it seems clear the queue is not being cleared down each CF as it was
> > before. We've been trying hard, but it's overflowing.
> >
> > Of those, about 50 items have been waiting more than one year, and
> > about 25 entries waiting for more than two years.
> >
> > One problem is that many entries don't have official reviewers, though
> > many people have commented on Hackers, making it difficult to track
> > down items that actually need work. That wastes a lot of time for
> > would-be reviewers (or at least, it has done for me).
> >
> > Please can there be some additional coordination to actively clear
> > down this problem? I won't attempt to come up with ideas to do this,
> > but others may wish to suggest ways that avoid Committer burn-out?
> >
> > I will be happy to volunteer to be part of an organized approach that
> > spreads out the work.
>
> I wonder if our lack of in-person developer meetings is causing some of
> our issues to not get closed.

Well, or the lack of virtual developer meetings? Sure, in-person
meetings are difficult now, but OTOH virtual meetings are very common
these days and maybe could be tried as quarterly developer meetings or
so and have the advantage that, modulo timezone problems, every
(invited) developer could attend.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Sascha Heuer, Geoff Richardson,
Peter Lilley

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz