Re: trigger for TRUNCATE?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trigger for TRUNCATE?
Date: 2008-01-08 20:57:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar (Gerardo Herzig) writes:
> Hi all. Acording to the docs, TRUNCATE will not fire a DELETE trigger
> on the table being truncated.
> There is a way to capture a TRUNCATE in any way?

I think there's some sort of "to do" on that...

It ought to be not *too* difficult (I imagine!) to be able to
associate a trigger with the TRUNCATE action, and therefore run some
stored function any time TRUNCATE takes place.

For the Slony-I replication system, it would be attractive for this to
lead to attaching two functions:
- One function would return an exception so that TRUNCATE against
a subscriber node would fail...

- Another would pretty much be as simple as submitting an event;
perform createEvent('_ourcluster', 'TRUNCATE_TABLE', table_id);

A new event, TRUNCATE_TABLE, would do a TRUNCATE against the
subscribers.

This represents a pretty easy enhancement, given the new kind of
trigger.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html