Re: best analysis of Oracle-Innobase I've seen

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best analysis of Oracle-Innobase I've seen
Date: 2005-10-25 19:00:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net (Robert Treat) writes:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:34, Ned Lilly wrote:
>> For those who just can't get enough of this topic:
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/24/43OPopenent_1.html
>>

> Maybe this will get more people interested in the idea that the oracle
> purchase of innobase could be a bad thing for postgresql. If oracle uses
> my$ql as a cheap promotional tool, they can probably keep a strong hold
> on the entry level space and also provide a direct migration path into
> the high-end markets. This helps cut postgresql (as well as ibm and m$)
> out of the loop even further, something oracle would be more than happy
> to do.

That is a compelling article, indeed.

The two bits that seem most pointed:

1. Owning InnoDB will give Oracle some really accurate market share
statistics on its use for "commercially interesting" purposes.

2. Bug reports that come in will provide similarly pointed precise
information as to what organizations are "pushing the envelope"
and that represent the best targets for marketing of Oracle's
other products.

It is worth observing that the same is likely true, albeit probably of
somewhat less importance, if we apply the following substitutions:

s/InnoDB/MaxDB/g
s/Oracle/MySQL AB/g
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';