Re: [PORTS] Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist
Date: 2006-02-06 21:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

kleptog(at)svana(dot)org (Martijn van Oosterhout) writes:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:54:52AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I took a first swing at this and rearranged some of these calls.
>
>> ld -- On AIX at least this seems to be some magic library but doesn't
>> have an obvious testable symbol.
>
> Indeed, appears to be AIX only.

Further, it appears to be AIX pre-4.3 only, when using it for dlopen()
replacement...

It would be an attractive idea to have configure detect not whether
it's open, but rather whether it is needed, and leave it out for AIX
4.3 and "better"...

> Apparently -lbsd is used on AIX but it contains pow() which is the
> wrong one (the comment wasn't clear). -lBSD was for hpux. Linux used to
> use it but not anymore.

Seneca didn't notice it being picked up; it may be that it is only
detected and used on old versions of AIX...

>> PW -- might be a compatibility library but none of the functions I found
>> are used by PostgreSQL.
>
> Listed for old SCO. No idea what for though.

Apparently this is for compatibility with the AT&T Programmers
Workbench toolkit; probably not too relevant to anyone these days...

On AIX, it gets detected, but functions are never used. I'll bet the
same is true on some other platforms (Solaris, HP/UX, and such).
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html