Re: Fw: Announcing MySQL 5.0 Release Candidate

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: Announcing MySQL 5.0 Release Candidate
Date: 2005-09-27 11:59:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at ("Michael Paesold") writes:
>> Two-Phase Commit (2PC): long in demand for WAN applications and
>> heterogenous data centers using PostgreSQL, this feature allows
>> ACID-compliant transactions across widely separated servers.
>
> Perhaps the term "distributed transactions" should be added? Or XA?
> Those are probably more buzzword style than two-phase commit.

No, those would qualify as "lying," which is something that we oughn't
do. Lying should be left to the advocates of other systems...

Two phase commit is a prerequisite for doing distributed transactions,
and XA is a particular standard to which the 2PC support does not, at
this point, conform.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html