Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-11 16:27:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

sid(dot)murthy(at)gmail(dot)com ("Sid Murthy") writes:
> MySQL 5 is quickly catching up. Maybe someone can elaborate on the
> advantages of Postgres over MySQL 5?

The trouble with the "catching up" that MySQL has been doing is that
it is coming at the "benefit" of adding checkbox points [Features X,
Y, and Z now supported] at the cost that they are adding "gotchas"
<http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html> much faster than they are
eliminating them.

For instance, it's "wonderful" that they have added built-in
replication. At least, it's wonderful until you see the pretty
enormous set of caveats.
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-features.html>
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/stored-procedure-logging.html>

Not all of those issues have yet entered the Gotchas list...

The trouble, in effect, is that they are "slapping on" new features as
opposed to "designing in" new features.

Generally speaking, if you look at PostgreSQL features that get added,
they are "designed in," and can be expect to work pretty well
anywhere. The same does not appear to be true when features are added
to MySQL.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html