Re: Postgre and Web Request

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgre and Web Request
Date: 2004-04-28 21:58:24
Lists: pgsql-general

listas(at)miti(dot)com(dot)br ("Kilmer C. de Souza") writes:
> Oww ... sorry man ...
> I make a mistake ... there are 10.000 users and 1.000 from 10.000 try to
> access at the same time the database.
> Can you help me again with this condition?

The issues don't really change. Opening 1000 concurrent connections
means spawning 1K PostgreSQL processes, which will reserve a pile of
memory, and cause a pretty severe performance problem.

It is _vital_ that your application uses some form of "connection
pooling" so that it can share 50-100 connections across the requests
rather than opening 1K connections.

How that is done will depend on your favored web application
framework. Most frameworks have some notion of a "connection pool,"
so this certainly shouldn't need to be a crippling problem.
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html