Re: Help! - Slony-I - saving/setting/restoring GUC

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help! - Slony-I - saving/setting/restoring GUC
Date: 2006-07-25 18:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
>> Unfortunately (perhaps) standards_conforming_strings does not appear
>> to be exported, so I'm not sure how to do this otherwise.
>
> Perhaps your problem is one of spelling? It's
> "standard_conforming_strings", and it's certainly a global variable.
>
> You still haven't explained why you need this, though. There are
> no datatype output functions that examine this variable.

Apologies. I was reading too much into the problem report.

After some discussion on IRC, I think we've "simplified" things back
to what the problem is.

Our logtrigger() function is already applying a "non-SCS" policy to
quote backslashes. No need to declare anything there, as had been the
case with a recent DateStyle issue.

With DateStyle, we had to control the style in two places:
1. In logtrigger(), when PostgreSQL is asked to generate the
string version of a datestamp. We do so by temporarily
setting DateStyle.
2. When loading data, we need to make sure the connection
uses a consistent DateStyle. We do so by setting the GUC
variable using SET.

I was under the misapprehension that we needed something akin to that
step 1; apparently we only need worry about step 2. To which Peter's
suggestion is entirely sufficient.

Sorry about the confusion.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;