Re: why do optimizer parameters have to be set manually?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why do optimizer parameters have to be set manually?
Date: 2003-12-18 19:17:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

mjy(at)geizhals(dot)at ("Marinos J. Yannikos") writes:
> it seems to me that the optimizer parameters (like random_page_cost
> etc.) could easily be calculated and adjusted dynamically be the DB
> backend based on the planner's cost estimates and actual run times for
> different queries. Perhaps the developers could comment on that?

Yes, it seems like a Small Matter Of Programming.

http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?SMOP

In seriousness, yes, it would seem a reasonable idea to calculate some
of these values a bit more dynamically.

I would be inclined to start with something that ran a workload, and
provided static values based on how that workload went. That would
require NO intervention inside the DB server; it could be accomplished
simply by writing a database script. Feel free to contribute either a
script or a backend "hack"...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>