Re: Update on PITR

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-hackers"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on PITR
Date: 2004-04-01 19:42:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-pitr

scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org ("Marc G. Fournier") writes:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> > Is your timeline based on the assumption of doing all the work
>> > yourself? If so, how about farming out some of it? I'd be
>> > willing to contribute some effort to PITR. (It's been made clear
>> > to me that Red Hat really wants PITR in 7.5 ;-))
>>
>> What is RedHat's interest in PostgreSQL? Last time I heard they
>> weren't interested in their database product anymore. Why do they
>> care about the PostgreSQL project?
>
> Just speculation, but I'd go with end goal being to be able to dump
> Oracle altogether, once PostgreSQL actually has all the various
> enterprise features ...

I understood that they were using Oracle Financials and possibly
Oracle Manufacturing for their internal systems; I seriously doubt
that Oracle will be adding support for PostgreSQL in those products
:-).

That being said, I'm sure it is in their interests to be able to
promote database options that do not mandate sending one penny to any
other vendors.

That was pretty clearly a major reason behind RHAT promoting GNOME
over KDE, in that "business" use of the latter would mandate sending
more money to a little company in Europe than RHAT would receive in
selling 50 'boxed sets.'
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html